Extract from the Guardian
"Gordon Brown today pledged fundamental reform to social care of the elderly and disabled in England as the Government warned that the system is facing a £6bn funding gap within 20 years.
The Prime Minister said it was "essential" that those people who worked hard and saved for their retirement were treated fairly in the provision of social care but he warned there was "no easy solution" to the problem.
"Of course, helping relatives is a challenge that most families rise to - however difficult it becomes," he told a breakfast meeting of leaders in the social care field, held at the King's Fund in central London.
"But that doesn't make it any easier. Nor does it remove family worries about providing physical care that is needed - or take away people's concerns that at some point in the future they may have to sell a treasured home to pay for their own care.""
Gordon Brown is mistaken. - There IS an easy solution to the problem.
1) Tell the truth about obesity and the salt connection
2) Greatly reduce the amount of salt/sodium allowed in processed foods and allow NO SALT AT ALL in food intended for children.
4) Tax salt very, very heavily.
5) Impose strict curbs on doctors' prescribing. Ban prescriptions for antidepressants as these have caused such great harm to vast numbers of people. Ban so-called 'slimming drugs'. Allow only certain appointed doctors to prescribe steroids - and ensure that these doctors have thorough knowledge of the side-effects of these dangerous, powerful drugs and that they keep strictly to the prescribing protocols for these drugs and that they warn people not to eat salt or food containing salt while taking these drugs.
6) Criminalise and severely punish pharmaceutical companies that lie and conceal information about the harmful effects of their products. Imprison the personnel responsible for the lies and cover-ups, even if they are no longer in the company's employ.
7) Get the food companies to manufacture some convenience foods that contain no added salt at all for the benefit of steroid victims and others who need to avoid salt but are not well enough to do much cooking.
Lose weight, reduce your risk of most cancers, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, stroke, heart disease, vascular dementia, osteopenia, osteoporosis, hypercholesterolaemia, depression, liver and kidney problems, and improve your health in many other ways without drugs or expense by eating less salt! - Try it! - You will feel so much better!Obesity and the Salt Connection
Children and Obesity
http://www.wildeaboutsteroids.co.uk/socio.html - social and economic considerations