Lose weight by eating less salt! - Go on! - Try it! - You will feel so much better!
See my website
Wilde About Steroids

Read my Mensa article on Obesity and the Salt Connection

Read my Mensa article on Cruelty, Negligence and the Abuse of Power in the NHS: Fighting the System

Read about the cruel treatment I suffered at the Sheffield Dental Hospital: Long In The Toothache

You can contact me by email from my website. The site does not sell anything and has no banners, sponsors or adverts - just helpful information about how salt can cause obesity.

Tuesday 1 September 2009

Prison food is better than food in NHS hospitals

Prison food is better than the food in NHS hospitals, as the BBC reports here. I don't think many hospital patients will be surprised at this research finding by Bournemouth University academics. Many patients get their families to take in food for them as they are not keen on the hospital meals.

I was particularly interested to read that prison food is lower in salt than hospital food. When I spent an appalling month in the Northern General Hospital in 2007 I was shocked at how high in salt the meals were, when you consider that the health service is continually exhorting the public to eat less salt. In addition to the meals being so high in salt (e.g. a ham sandwich: both ham and bread are high in salt and the butter was also salted), tiny individual packets of salt were given out routinely with every meal. You would never guess from those hospital meals that the government and their agencies have a policy aimed at lowering the average consumption of salt. - Policy and practice are not going hand in hand.

As a steroid victim I am extremely sensitive to salt and need to avoid it much more assiduously than most people. Incredibly, only one of the many doctors I encountered in the hospital knew that steroid victims needed to eat food with no added salt, and it proved impossible in practice for me to have meals with no added salt, very largely because of the unhelpfulness of the chief dietician, who persisted in claiming, falsely, that the meals provided were low in salt. Since it is harmful and dangerous for me to eat salty food, and as I had no family to visit and bring me suitable food, I was unable to eat much apart from breakfast, when I was able to choose porridge, a food that does not contain added salt.

Lose weight, reduce your risk of most cancers, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, heart disease, heart attack, vascular dementia, stroke, osteopenia, osteoporosis, hypercholesterolaemia, depression, liver damage and kidney problems, and improve your health in many other ways without drugs, hunger or expense by eating less salt! - Try it! - You will feel so much better! See my website www.wildeaboutsteroids.co.uk

The site does not sell anything and has no banners or sponsors or adverts - just helpful information.

Read my Mensa article on Obesity and the Salt Connection

Vulnerable groups

Sodium in foods

No comments:

Post a Comment