Gene find raises hope for gentler, highly effective cancer treatments - Guardian
"A cluster of genes which can make cancer cells thousands of times more sensitive to chemotherapy have been discovered by scientists, an advance that could pave the way for highly effective, pain free cancer treatment.
Researchers in the US used a new screening technique to scan more than 20,000 genes in lung-cancer cells which led them to uncover those cells which responded to a chemotherapy drug.
They found 87 genes that made tumours more vulnerable to the drug, paclitaxel, when their activity was reduced or blocked. Blocking the action of some of them made lung cancer cells 10,000 times more sensitive to paclitaxel.
The discovery means it could be possible to personalise cancer treatments so that the cancerous tissue is targeted more efficiently while healthy cells are left unharmed, thus making treatment far less debilitating. It raises the possibility of lowering chemotherapy doses and reducing the side effects of drugs, without compromising their effectiveness."
Best not to hold your breath! - How often do we see claims of breakthroughs and great hopes? - If headlines cured cancer and 'news' were therapeutic there'd certainly be no cancer any more!
See this further extract:
""There's nothing here immediately useful to those individuals with cancer. We're still at the beginning, but this sort of approach is very effective. It shortens the discovery process, which makes the development process so much quicker."
Further research on animals is needed; the first clinical trials on cancer patients can only begin in no fewer than three to five years. The study looked at isolated human cells in the laboratory, and more research will be needed to determine whether blocking the genes in animals has the same effect. In the long term, this discovery could play a part in the way new cancer drugs are designed."
Here are some measures you can take that are very practical, very effective, absolutely immediate, cost-free and drug-free, that will greatly reduce your risk of developing cancer:
1. - The MOST IMPORTANT is to stop eating salt and salty food. - See sodium foods
This one measure will significantly reduce the risk/severity of all the usual deadly diseases, not just cancer....heart disease, heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc and most of the disabling and aging conditions....obesity, Alzheimer's disease, osteoporosis, insomnia, headaches, migraines, pains of many kinds...
2. - If you are wanting to lose weight YOU ABSOLUTELY MUST GIVE UP DIETING. - IT IS VERY HARMFUL AND COMPLETELY UNNECESSARY.
3. - Eat plenty of proper food - not diet rubbish - including plenty of fruit and fresh vegetables.
4. - Give up smoking. (I do mean give up; I don't mean cut down.)
5. - Avoid prescribed medications as far as you possibly can. - These drugs very frequently have adverse side-effects which are very frequently extremely harmful.
6. - Cut down on alcohol if you drink a lot.
7. - Make sure you are getting enough calcium in what you eat. If you don't get enough, try having some low fat yoghurt in addition to what you usually eat.
8. - Make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D in what you eat. - You may be short of Vitamin D because you have cut down on milk and other dairy products in the mistaken idea that these are fattening. They do not cause weight gain, unless salt has been added to them, so do not eat salted butter. Milk is a good source of both calcium and Vitamin D. Vitamin D is needed for the absorption of calcium and the regulation of calcium levels in the blood. - Shortage of Vitamin D is quite common, especially in elderly people.
Lose weight by eating less salt! Go on! - Try it! - You will feel so much better!
See my website www.wildeaboutsteroids.co.uk
(The site does not sell anything and has no banners or sponsors or adverts - just helpful information.)