Article in the Telegraph
"Dogs that have swallowed chocolate, grapes and raisins are fuelling a huge rise in pet poisoning cases.
The number of dogs falling ill after eating chocolate soared by 48 per cent last year to 1,166, according to the Veterinary Poisons Information Service.
Chocolate contains theobromine, a stimulant found in the cocoa bean, which affects the central nervous system as well as the heart muscle and can kill a dog.
The service, which advises vets, has also seen an increase of 91 per cent in dogs becoming sick after eating grapes, raisins or sultanas.
Toxins from the fruit can cause renal failure in the animals. In some cases, small dogs have died after eating as few as four grapes.
The problem has only been recognised in recent years and the number of cases reported to the service rose from 117 to 224.
Vets believe many owners are unaware of the dangers and have fed their pets food such as cake and biscuits containing chocolate or grapes as treats, while in other cases the animals have helped themselves.
Most common dog toxins
Rat poison 1,283 cases in 2007
Oral contraceptives 334
Grapes, raisins and sultanas 224
Slug bait 190
Carprofen – an anti-inflammatory drug for dogs which can produce adverse reactions. 188
Diclofenac – used to treat arthritis in humans. 155
Snake bites 153"
Salt and salty food can also harm your dog by causing it to become overweight.
See my website www.wildeaboutsteroids.co.uk